Here are 7 proven tips to help you build rapport and quickly warm up your next prospect:
1. Make your prospect feel comfortable by offering him or her something to drink—tea, water, soft drink or coffee.
2. Look for common ground and points of mutual interest. Good topics include children’s activities, sporting events, hobbies, vacation plans and the old standby—the weather. Obviously, you want to stay away from any topics that might be controversial or polarizing, such as politics or religion.
3. Pay attention and listen closely. Take notes and ask open-ended questions to gain information and get your prospect talking.
4. Use open body language, smile frequently and maintain good eye contact.
5. Listen more than you talk. Keep the focus of attention on your prospect and not on yourself.
6. Avoid the temptation of interrupting your prospect when he or she is speaking.
7. Match your prospect’s rate of speech and voice tone. If you speak quickly and your prospect speaks slowly, it’s up to you to make the adjustment.
By focusing on these seven rapport-building tips, you will dramatically increase your sales effectiveness and strengthen all of your client relationships.